> Dear Admins
> I installed Bind9.5.1b1 on solaris 9.
> i have two questions:
> 1-when i downloaded root.zone.gz(the latest version) from internic.com
> and use it in namedb
> it returns this warning in messages:
> "extra data in root hints 'root.zone'"
> should i edit this file and summurize it?


root.zone.gz is *not* the hints file.

> 2-without any setting logging option in named.conf,,,in /var/adm/
> messages it presents repeated warning messages about my different
> users request!
> is the logging option is enabled in configuration for bind9.5.1 in
> default?
> how can i disable it,since it generates huge messages!
> here are some examples of these messages:


Read the FAQ and address the underlying problem.

> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 80.191.57.131#4967: RFC 1918 response from Internet for
> 83.123.26.172.in-addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 85.9.73.6#1561: RFC 1918 response from Internet for 11.160.16.172.in-
> addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct last message repeated 3 times
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 85.185.237.3#3007: RFC 1918 response from Internet for 11.11.10.10.in-
> addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 85.9.73.6#1561: RFC 1918 response from Internet for 11.160.16.172.in-
> addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct last message repeated 1 time
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 217.218.218.146#1030: RFC 1918 response from Internet for
> 8.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:46 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 217.219.56.225#1027: RFC 1918 response from Internet for
> 133.1.16.172.in-addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:47 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 217.218.245.253#1028: RFC 1918 response from Internet for
> 3.10.10.10.in-addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:47 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 217.218.247.8#1198: RFC 1918 response from Internet for
> 139.150.11.10.in-addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:47 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 85.185.237.3#3007: RFC 1918 response from Internet for 11.11.10.10.in-
> addr.arpa
> Aug 25 14:43:47 ns1-lct named[1295]: [ID 873579 daemon.warning] client
> 85.9.73.6#1561: RFC 1918 response from Internet for 11.160.16.172.in-
> addr.arpa
> .
> .
> ....
> Regards
> Habibi
>

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@isc.org