Mark Andrews wrote:
>> We are running a bind 9.2.4 on a Solaris 10 box for internal only use.
>> Here is the senario.
>> When I have rescursion off and I have the following statement
>> zone "" {
>> type forward;
>> forwarders {; };
>> };
>> and I perform a lookup for I do not get a response
>> however I can perform the same lookup against the with a
>> positive response.
>> ---
>> I then turn recursion on and it work fine.
>> Is there a way to have recusion off and a forward zone working?

> No.

To expand on that a little, you're essentially asking for BIND to
support mutually-contradictory modes of operation. "recursion no"
basically means "answer only from one's own authoritative zones,
otherwise respond with a referral", and forwarding basically means "go
out and fetch the data and return it, if the answer is *not*already*in*
one's authoritative zones or in the cache". Since a given answer can't
be both in and not in a nameserver's authoritative data simultaneously,
you can't really mix forwarding with no-recursion.

Frankly I'm not sure why anyone would turn off recursion for an
internal-only box anyway, except (as in our case, with respect to one
particular box) as a way to discourage folks from misconfiguring their
stub resolvers to point to it.

- Kevin