On Aug 22 2008, Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k) wrote:

>I was reading "Linux Administration Handbook" to learn about BIND 9. It
>has a section on configuring BIND 9 for IP addresses that uses a CIDR
>netmask of "/26". The book called it "CNAME hack".
>
>http://books.google.com.hk/books?id=...um=1&ct=result
>
>IS there an official name for this trick?

It's usually referred to by some pointer to RFC 2317, e.g. "classless
reverse delegation in the style of RFC 2317". I am not aware that
anything snappier than that has become standard. "CNAME hack" is
*very* ambiguous, apart from being unnecessarily pejorative.

There's nothing BIND-specific about it, of course.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk