control own domain/zonefile ? - DNS

This is a discussion on control own domain/zonefile ? - DNS ; Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with bind installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain, instead of using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might provide. In other ...

  1. control own domain/zonefile ?

    Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with bind
    installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain, instead of
    using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might provide. In
    other words, I can setup a zonefile easily enough, but that only works
    so long as one manually points nslookup or dig to said linux box.

    How do I make it world accessible, so to speak? I know I can change the
    name servers for the domain via the registrar control panel? Is this all
    there is to it? I get the feeling there is more. And what if the
    registrar doesn't have such an applet?

    P.S.
    I doubt this is possible, but is there any way to manually "register" a
    domain myself withotu going through one of those registrars? I mean,
    most cost only $10 USD, which makes me think that it doesn't really cost
    them anything, thus making profit on all those $10 registrations.
    Basically, eliminate the middle man. I mean, how EXACTLY does a
    registrar register the domain you pick via their website?

    I also want to be able to control reverse dns (PTR records) which
    normally one cannot when using a registrars.

    I know there are "ROOT" name servers out there that control all the
    TLDs, and so I figure there must be a way to directly register a domain
    in the area before the TLDs, or how ever the registrars do it.

    Sorry, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions, but after doing a lot of
    searching, I can't really find much clarity on the matter, and maybe
    someone can really clear this all up for me I hope.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: control own domain/zonefile ?

    In article ,
    "Steve K." wrote:

    > Sorry, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions, but after doing a lot of
    > searching, I can't really find much clarity on the matter, and maybe
    > someone can really clear this all up for me I hope.

    Didn't you already ask all the same questions several days ago? Why are
    you reposting, when there have already been responses to the original?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA