How to control own domain/zonefile ? - DNS

This is a discussion on How to control own domain/zonefile ? - DNS ; Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with bind installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain, instead of using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might provide. In other ...

  1. How to control own domain/zonefile ?

    Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with
    bind
    installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain,
    instead of
    using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might
    provide. In
    other words, I can setup a zonefile easily enough, but that
    only works
    so long as one manually points nslookup or dig to said linux
    box.

    How do I make it world accessible, so to speak? I know I can
    change the
    name servers for the domain via the registrar control panel?
    Is this all
    there is to it? I get the feeling there is more. And what if
    the
    registrar doesn't have such an applet?

    P.S.
    I doubt this is possible, but is there any way to manually
    "register" a
    domain myself withotu going through one of those registrars?
    I mean,
    most cost only $10 USD, which makes me think that it doesn't
    really cost
    them anything, thus making profit on all those $10
    registrations.
    Basically, eliminate the middle man. I mean, how EXACTLY does
    registrar register the domain you pick via their website?

    I also want to be able to control reverse dns (PTR records)
    which
    normally one cannot when using a registrars.

    I know there are "ROOT" name servers out there that control
    all the
    TLDs, and so I figure there must be a way to directly
    register a domain
    in the area before the TLDs, or how ever the registrars do
    it.

    Sorry, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions, but after doing
    a lot of
    searching, I can't really find much clarity on the matter,
    and maybe
    someone can really clear this all up for me I hope.

    Thank you.

    http://mail.yahoo.com

  2. Re: How to control own domain/zonefile ?

    In article ,
    Clenna Lumina wrote:

    > Ok, say I register foo.com, and I have my own linux box with
    > bind
    > installed, and I want to use that to control my own domain,
    > instead of
    > using zoneedit.com or whatever DNS applet a registrar might
    > provide. In
    > other words, I can setup a zonefile easily enough, but that
    > only works
    > so long as one manually points nslookup or dig to said linux
    > box.
    >
    > How do I make it world accessible, so to speak? I know I can
    > change the
    > name servers for the domain via the registrar control panel?
    > Is this all
    > there is to it? I get the feeling there is more. And what if
    > the
    > registrar doesn't have such an applet?

    Yes, that's all there is to it. If the registrar doesn't have an applet
    on their web page, then I guess you have to do it by calling or emailing
    them. Part of the job of a registrar is registering customer name
    servers, so there has to be some way to do it. A registrar is *not* a
    DNS hosting service, although many companies offer both services.

    > P.S.
    > I doubt this is possible, but is there any way to manually
    > "register" a
    > domain myself withotu going through one of those registrars?

    No, unless you become a registrar yourself.

    > I mean,
    > most cost only $10 USD, which makes me think that it doesn't
    > really cost
    > them anything, thus making profit on all those $10
    > registrations.
    > Basically, eliminate the middle man. I mean, how EXACTLY does
    > registrar register the domain you pick via their website?

    They operate servers that maintain all the registration information.
    They feed the DNS information to the registries, who update the
    top-level name servers. They make the information available for
    querying via WHOIS. They provide customer support and mediate disputes
    between domain registrants.

    > I also want to be able to control reverse dns (PTR records)
    > which
    > normally one cannot when using a registrars.

    You do that through the organization that provided your IP addresses,
    usually your ISP.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA