Re: Need pointed in the right direction intranet DNS's - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: Need pointed in the right direction intranet DNS's - DNS ; On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, baltoinfo wrote: > I've been banging my head with this one. > My setup. > > Lab1 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a > 192.168.99.0/24 network > Lab2 1 DNS ...

  1. Re: Need pointed in the right direction intranet DNS's

    On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, baltoinfo wrote:

    > I've been banging my head with this one.
    > My setup.
    >
    > Lab1 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
    > 192.168.99.0/24 network
    > Lab2 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
    > 192.168.1.0/24 network
    >
    > Corp. DNS on 192.168.77.0/24 network which has the complete company
    > DNS
    > names.
    >
    > Both Lab1 and Lab2 DNS work fine with what ip/names I've added,
    > however
    > I can't get the two Labs to query nor send a query to the main corp
    > dns.

    Take a look into the forwarding options in the BIND configuration.
    You need to look at the "forward" option to tell the server to
    forward queries onto another server and the "forwarders" option to
    tell your server which servers to send the queries onto.

    For information about this, look at the BIND Administrator's
    Reference Manual (ARM). This comes with the BIND sources or can be
    found at http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/. Be sure that the
    version of the ARM matches the version of BIND that you are running.
    The "DNS and BIND" book by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu also talks
    about forwarding. Both are indispensable resources for anyone
    managing a DNS service.

    This topic is also a common issue discussed on this list. You might
    want to look at the archives for previous postings about this same
    topic. Search for "forwarding".

    Bill Larson

  2. Re: Need pointed in the right direction intranet DNS's

    Bill, thanks so much for the info. I'll take a look at it right now.

    On Oct 12, 1:52 pm, Bill Larson wrote:
    > On Oct 12, 2006, at 9:15 AM, baltoinfo wrote:
    >

    > > I've been banging my head with this one.
    > > My setup.

    > > Lab1 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
    > > 192.168.99.0/24 network
    > > Lab2 1 DNS Server bind9.3.1/linux witha zone xxx.com on a
    > > 192.168.1.0/24 network

    > > Corp. DNS on 192.168.77.0/24 network which has the complete company
    > > DNS
    > > names.

    > > Both Lab1 and Lab2 DNS work fine with what ip/names I've added,
    > > however
    > > I can't get the two Labs to query nor send a query to the main corp
    > > dns.Take a look into the forwarding options in the BIND configuration.

    > You need to look at the "forward" option to tell the server to
    > forward queries onto another server and the "forwarders" option to
    > tell your server which servers to send the queries onto.
    >
    > For information about this, look at the BIND Administrator's
    > Reference Manual (ARM). This comes with the BIND sources or can be
    > found athttp://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/. Be sure that the
    > version of the ARM matches the version of BIND that you are running.
    > The "DNS and BIND" book by Paul Albitz and Cricket Liu also talks
    > about forwarding. Both are indispensable resources for anyone
    > managing a DNS service.
    >
    > This topic is also a common issue discussed on this list. You might
    > want to look at the archives for previous postings about this same
    > topic. Search for "forwarding".
    >
    > Bill Larson- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

+ Reply to Thread