Spamhaus Override - DNS

This is a discussion on Spamhaus Override - DNS ; Hello all, I would imagine many of you are as concerned as I about the Illinois court order ( http://www.spamhaus.org/archive/lega...order_6_10.pdf ) that threatens to rescind Spamhaus's domain name via ICANN. As the operator of a small but significant (to my ...

  1. Spamhaus Override

    Hello all,
    I would imagine many of you are as concerned as I about the Illinois
    court order
    (http://www.spamhaus.org/archive/lega...order_6_10.pdf) that
    threatens to rescind Spamhaus's domain name via ICANN. As the operator
    of a small but significant (to my clients, at any rate) resolving
    nameserver, what can I change in my configuration in order to keep
    spamhaus.org resolving? Is something as kludgy as a source patch
    required to override resolution of a domain, or can I do something fancy
    with my configuration? Ideally there is something I can do to my
    nameserver that will have the same effect on resolution for my clients
    that a change to my hosts file would have on my own box.
    I hope for the sake of my inbox that I'm not the only one contemplating
    such solutions...
    -andy

  2. Re: Spamhaus Override

    > Hello all,
    > I would imagine many of you are as concerned as I about the Illinois
    > court order
    > (http://www.spamhaus.org/archive/lega...order_6_10.pdf) that
    > threatens to rescind Spamhaus's domain name via ICANN. As the operator
    > of a small but significant (to my clients, at any rate) resolving
    > nameserver, what can I change in my configuration in order to keep
    > spamhaus.org resolving? Is something as kludgy as a source patch
    > required to override resolution of a domain, or can I do something fancy
    > with my configuration? Ideally there is something I can do to my
    > nameserver that will have the same effect on resolution for my clients
    > that a change to my hosts file would have on my own box.
    > I hope for the sake of my inbox that I'm not the only one contemplating
    > such solutions...
    > -andy

    Use the datafeed setup http://www.spamhaus.org/datafeed/index.html
    Or find some other people to do this together with..
    Beware of the memory the server needs ( > 512 Mb)

  3. Re: Spamhaus Override

    Andy Getz writes:

    > Hello all,
    > I would imagine many of you are as concerned as I about the Illinois
    > court order
    > (http://www.spamhaus.org/archive/lega...order_6_10.pdf) that
    > threatens to rescind Spamhaus's domain name via ICANN. As the operator
    > of a small but significant (to my clients, at any rate) resolving
    > nameserver, what can I change in my configuration in order to keep
    > spamhaus.org resolving? ...

    fwiw, spamhaus.org.uk also works, and is not subject to US court orders.
    --
    ISC Training! October 16-20, 2006, in the San Francisco Bay Area,
    covering topics from DNS to DHCP. Email training@isc.org.

  4. [OT] Spamhaus Override

    On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:42:58PM +0000,
    Paul Vixie wrote
    a message of 17 lines which said:

    > fwiw, spamhaus.org.uk also works, and is not subject to US court orders.

    Of course, it is, "spamhaus.org.uk." depends on "co.uk." which depends
    on "uk." which depends on "." which depends on the US governement, as
    well as "org."

    But we are drifting away from BIND :-)

  5. Re: [OT] Spamhaus Override

    Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
    > On Wed, Oct 11, 2006 at 12:42:58PM +0000,
    > Paul Vixie wrote
    > a message of 17 lines which said:
    >

    >>fwiw, spamhaus.org.uk also works, and is not subject to US court orders.

    > Of course, it is, "spamhaus.org.uk." depends on "co.uk." which depends
    > on "uk." which depends on "." which depends on the US governement, as
    > well as "org."
    >
    > But we are drifting away from BIND :-)

    There is a root zonefile at

    http://intlnet.org/intlroot.txt
    http://afrac.org/intlroot.txt

    >> L'AFRAC est un centre en ligne national de référentiels contextuels.
    >> Son rôle est la mise à disposition indépendante, documentée et
    >> personnalisée des racines et des données de référence nécessaires à
    >> une pleine interopération nationale, sûre et protégée, des systèmes
    >> d'information, des relations et des services numériques.

    )) AFRAC is a national online centre for contextual reference
    )) Its role is to provide independent and documented data about
    )) the roots to allow complete interoperation nationally
    )) of information systems and digital relations

    you can use it to run your own rootserver - just in case

    I hope I did translate the text correctly.

    And Paul might suggest the ORSN servers who generate their own
    root zonefile without believing everything "rootservers.net" says.

    Kind regards
    Peter and Karin

    --
    Peter and Karin Dambier
    Cesidian Root - Radice Cesidiana

  6. Re: [OT] Spamhaus Override

    Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

    > But we are drifting away from BIND :-)

    Not drifting, pole vaulted past it. There are plenty of other venues
    for political commentary.

    Doug

    --
    If you're never wrong, you're not trying hard enough

  7. Re: [OT] Spamhaus Override

    On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 09:29:09PM +0200,
    Peter Dambier wrote
    a message of 57 lines which said:

    > There is a root zonefile at
    >
    > http://intlnet.org/intlroot.txt

    A wonderful SOA. Do not miss it :-)

    .. IN SOA A.INTLNET.ORG. INTL.INTLNET.ORG. (
    20061011022550 ;serial

    > I hope I did translate the text correctly.

    Yes, it is perfect. The text makes no sense in French and you rendered
    this lack of meaning faithfully.

+ Reply to Thread