Re: Cannot Resolve .Net Domains - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: Cannot Resolve .Net Domains - DNS ; On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:22:12PM -0700, Will wrote a message of 9 lines which said: > On one of my DNS servers that is configured to do smart lookups, it > can resolve all .COM domains, but cannot ...

  1. Re: Cannot Resolve .Net Domains

    On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:22:12PM -0700,
    Will wrote
    a message of 9 lines which said:

    > On one of my DNS servers that is configured to do smart lookups, it
    > can resolve all .COM domains, but cannot resolve ANY .NET domains.

    dig +trace ? Log of BIND?

    > Would this indicate a problem with one of the root servers?

    I do not see why: the involvment of root name servers is the same for
    ".com" and ".net" (they just redirect to Verisign's name servers).

    > Which root server(s) handle .NET domains?

    None.

  2. Re: Cannot Resolve .Net Domains

    In article ,
    Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

    > On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 10:22:12PM -0700,
    > Will wrote
    > a message of 9 lines which said:
    >
    > > On one of my DNS servers that is configured to do smart lookups, it
    > > can resolve all .COM domains, but cannot resolve ANY .NET domains.

    > dig +trace ? Log of BIND?

    dig +trace won't help diagnose problems in the server, since it performs
    the DNS hierarchy traversal in the client, not the server.

    > > Would this indicate a problem with one of the root servers?

    > I do not see why: the involvment of root name servers is the same for
    > ".com" and ".net" (they just redirect to Verisign's name servers).
    >
    > > Which root server(s) handle .NET domains?

    > None.

    I think it's obvious that he means GTLD servers. And in this case, the
    answer is that the .NET and .COM domains are delegated to the same GTLD
    servers -- (A through M).GTLD-SERVERS.NET.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA