One Server, two IPs, DNS setup - DNS

This is a discussion on One Server, two IPs, DNS setup - DNS ; I`d appreciate very much any help with the following problem: I have one web server connect to the internet via Provider A. By the way, the ip address asigned to that server (IP A) belongs to Provider A as well ...

  1. One Server, two IPs, DNS setup

    I`d appreciate very much any help with the following problem:

    I have one web server connect to the internet via Provider A. By the
    way, the ip address asigned to that server (IP A) belongs to Provider A
    as well as the DNS server I use.
    The problem is that link is very unstable and it is constantly out of
    service.

    Because of this situation I am adding a second internet link with
    Provider B who will also assign its own IP address to my web server (IP
    B).

    In order for this to work I am thinking about doing the following:
    a). I will assign to the web server both IP addresses in the same NIC.

    b) In Providers A's DNS server I will assign to the web server two IP
    addresses: the one assigned by Provider A and the second one from
    Provider B.

    My questions are:
    1. Is this all I should do?
    2. Will it be any off time because of the DNS broadcast of the new IP
    address (or even the old IP Address)?
    3. If link A fails will it be possible for a client to access the web
    server via Provider B's link even if the DNS server belongs to Provider
    A?

    Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

  2. Re: One Server, two IPs, DNS setup

    The dns entries will just round robin when requests are received.
    So if one link fails, dns will still send out both addresses.

    --
    jbeasley@sdf.lonestar.org