At 18:32 +0200 8/7/08, Roy Arends wrote:

>What does the scripture say about the following, very small (see * below)
>;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 37612
>;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0
>;010a.example. IN A
>010a.example. 86400 IN A
>example. 86400 IN NS 010a.example.
>;; Query time: 3 msec

What bothers me about this is that the SERVER: address is not in the
list (of 1) addresses authoritative for the zone owning the QNAME.
(That is, is not

I would probably reject this as an inappropriate setting of the AA
bit - or chalk it up to an old BIND recursive server giving me a copy
back of what it had just gotten from an authoritative server.

If I were paranoid, reject. If I were paranoid but trying to be
flexible, i would try to determine the vintage of what was at and then decide on rejection. Otherwise, it seems like a
valid answer.
Edward Lewis +1-571-434-5468

Never confuse activity with progress. Activity pays more.

to unsubscribe send a message to with