BIND 9.5.0-P1 exiting due to assertion failure in rbtdb.c - DNS

This is a discussion on BIND 9.5.0-P1 exiting due to assertion failure in rbtdb.c - DNS ; We're seeing a failure very similar to what Bob McElrath reported. We just installed BIND 9.5.0-P1 on Alpha/Tru64-4.0G (we had previously been running BIND 8). After an hour and a half, named terminated with the following log entries: Aug 6 ...

  1. BIND 9.5.0-P1 exiting due to assertion failure in rbtdb.c

    We're seeing a failure very similar to what Bob McElrath reported. We
    just
    installed BIND 9.5.0-P1 on Alpha/Tru64-4.0G (we had previously been
    running
    BIND 8). After an hour and a half, named terminated with the
    following log
    entries:

    Aug 6 19:07:15 pangea named[1568]: rbtdb.c:1439: REQUIRE(prev > 0)
    failed
    Aug 6 19:07:15 pangea named[1568]: exiting (due to assertion failure)

    Here's what named.conf looks like (this is a caching-only name server):

    options {
    directory "/etc";
    dump-file "/etc/cache_dump.db";
    statistics-file "/etc/named_stats.txt";
    };

    logging {
    category lame-servers {null; };
    category edns-disabled { null; };
    };

    include "/etc/rndc.key";

    zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
    type master;
    file "named.local";
    };

    zone "." {
    type hint;
    file "named.ca";
    };

    Has a cause or a fix for this been found?

    --
    Kai Lanz Stanford University School of Earth
    Sciences

  2. Re: BIND 9.5.0-P1 exiting due to assertion failure in rbtdb.c

    Once upon a time, Kai Lanz said:
    >We're seeing a failure very similar to what Bob McElrath reported. We
    >just
    >installed BIND 9.5.0-P1 on Alpha/Tru64-4.0G (we had previously been
    >running
    >BIND 8). After an hour and a half, named terminated with the
    >following log
    >entries:

    Have you tried rebuilding with --disable-threads? I had to do that on
    Tru64 5.1B or named would exit (I don't remember if it was the same
    assertion now though).

    --
    Chris Adams