At Wed, 06 Aug 2008 09:50:30 +0200,
Florian Weimer wrote:

> > I have no doubt that some vendors lack it (e.g., Microsoft doesn't
> > implement it as far as I know), but referring to Linux in this context
> > could actually be misleading; the Linux IPv6 protocol stack (including
> > socket API extensions) had been a cretaceous relic largely behind many
> > other OSes, until the USAGI project incorporated their effort to the
> > mainline kernel.

> Okay. If my stack lacks it, what should I cap the EDNS0 buffer size
> to? 1232 (1280 minues 40 minus 8)? 1200?

I don't think the EDNS0 buffer size matters in this context: it's the
receiver's (=client's) buffer size, while it's the sender that needs
(or has to deal with the case with missing) IPV6_USE_MIN_MTU. Or are
you talking about something like BIND9's specific feature
"max-udp-size"? If so, I'd say it should be not larger than 1232 (if
there's any possibility that some extension headers can be inserted to
DNS responses, it should be smaller accordingly).

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.

archive: