Karl Auer wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 11:55 +1000, Res wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, Karl Auer wrote:
>>
>>> It won't hurt to wait ten seconds then look at the zone on the secondary
>>> to see if it has already reloaded. If it hasn't, then by all means get
>>> out the sledgehammer...
>>>

>> Thats if he really wants to up the serials, there is no need to however.
>>

> True - however, changing the serial number and waiting a few seconds to
> see if it's all worked the way it is supposed to work is a better
> initial step, IMHO.
>
> If it doesn't work the way it's supposed to then I guess deleting zones
> files and restarting servers is OK...
>
> Regards, K.

Thanks for the overflowing suggestions and replies.

I tested it earlier by incrementing the serial number of a test zone in
the primary, then reload the primary and the secondary (both running
BIND 8.4.6). The secondary didn't update the zone until 10-15 minutes
later and it's unclear if the delay is a constant. That's why I want to
force a refresh immediately instead of waiting "indefinitely".