Re: Query timeouts on FreeBSD 7 over network - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: Query timeouts on FreeBSD 7 over network - DNS ; > I've tried with the ULE scheduler and 4BSD and tried with and with > out PREEMPTION turned on. Nothing makes a difference. First of all you could try to connect only two machines via cross-over cable, no any switches ...

  1. Re: Query timeouts on FreeBSD 7 over network

    > I've tried with the ULE scheduler and 4BSD and tried with and with
    > out PREEMPTION turned on. Nothing makes a difference.

    First of all you could try to connect only two machines via cross-over
    cable, no any switches between the machines, no any VLANs and so on.
    FreeBSD-7.0 works better with ULE-scheduler and kernel should be
    preemtive (options PREEMPTION in kernel config).
    - what is your kernel config?

    > I'm pretty sure this is related to the OS or the em driver in some way, because if I disable all ICMP rate limiting and run an extended ping from the local firewall, I experience a very low amount of random packet loss in no pattern, unlike if you have the ICMP rate limiting enabled.

    Once again it would be better if you do analyze the traffic going throuth
    the em-interface excluding your DNS testing data. Try to get the network
    with no any walking packets but dnsperf traffic and no any upinks and/or
    downlinks.

    > Also, are there any documented recommendations for sysctl values for FreeBSD when running BIND for optimal performance?

    - What options did you provide to configure script during BIND building?
    One of necessary options should be --enable-threads if you build BIND
    under FreeBSD 7.0.

    ! CANMOS ISP Network !
    ! Best regards !
    ! Igor V. Ruzanov, network operational staff!
    ! e-Mail: igorr@canmos.ru !

  2. Re: Query timeouts on FreeBSD 7 over network

    In article , igorr@canmos.ru says...
    > One of necessary options should be --enable-threads if you build BIND
    > under FreeBSD 7.0.

    I'm curious as to why? What has changed (AFAIK with 6.x, without threads
    was recommended)

    rgds,
    netcat

  3. Re: Query timeouts on FreeBSD 7 over network

    On Tue, 5 Aug 2008, netcat wrote:

    > In article , igorr@canmos.ru says...
    >> One of necessary options should be --enable-threads if you build BIND
    >> under FreeBSD 7.0.

    > I'm curious as to why? What has changed (AFAIK with 6.x, without threads
    > was recommended)

    As i know threads were recommended to disable in BIND-9.3.x in port
    distribution in FreeBSD-5.x/6.x since SMP support was largely reworked in
    these system's branches. SMP in relation of number of CPUs rather than
    CPU with HTT feature. FreeBSD-7 has many improvements in direction to work
    on systems with physical CPUs rather then logical ones. So BIND 9.4.2, for
    example, works well enough on my system.