At Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:36:13 -0400,
"Jeff Lightner" wrote:

> On RHEL5 with kernel 2.6.18-92.1.6.el5 the results are OK with the
> -r but not without (it failed at 1022 sockets without).
>
> It makes me wonder though - does BIND (named) automatically do what
> the -r flag of selecttest is doing? Does it matter whether named

For P2, yes (unless you specify a small value for the 'files' option
in named.conf). For P1, no (unless you specify 'unlimited' for the
'files' option in named.conf).

> is running as root or a different user? That is to say does the

I don't think so.

> above test being successful with -r flag mean that I can be
> confident named is opening a wide range of ports?

For P2, yes (but you'll have to build BIND with a reasonable large
value of ISC_SOCKET_FDSETSIZE). For P1, no.

---
JINMEI, Tatuya
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.