"@" entries and "" entries not transferring - DNS

This is a discussion on "@" entries and "" entries not transferring - DNS ; Hi, primary master: $ORIGIN . $TTL 86400 ; 1 day mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. ( 2006072506 ; serial 28800 ; refresh (8 hours) 7200 ; retry (2 hours) 604800 ; expire (1 week) 86400 ; minimum (1 day) ) ...

  1. "@" entries and "" entries not transferring

    Hi,

    primary master:

    $ORIGIN .
    $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    2006072506 ; serial
    28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    604800 ; expire (1 week)
    86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    )
    NS whatever.
    NS whatever.
    MX 0 whatever.
    MX 10 whatever.

    $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.

    test A 192.168.0.100
    @ A 192.168.0.100
    www A 192.168.0.100
    A 192.168.0.100

    After transferring the zone to the secondary "@" and "" is lost:

    $ORIGIN .
    $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    2006072506 ; serial
    28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    604800 ; expire (1 week)
    86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    )
    NS whatever.
    NS whatever.
    MX 0 whatever.
    MX 10 whatever.

    $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.
    test A 192.168.0.100
    www A 192.168.0.100

    What's wrong?

    root@ns1:/root# named -v
    BIND 9.3.1
    root@ns1:/root#

    Thanks, Helmut

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  2. Re: "@" entries and "" entries not transferring

    In article ,
    "Helmut Schneider" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > primary master:
    >
    > $ORIGIN .
    > $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    > mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    > 2006072506 ; serial
    > 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    > 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    > 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    > 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    > )
    > NS whatever.
    > NS whatever.
    > MX 0 whatever.
    > MX 10 whatever.
    >
    > $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.
    >
    > test A 192.168.0.100
    > @ A 192.168.0.100
    > www A 192.168.0.100
    > A 192.168.0.100
    >
    > After transferring the zone to the secondary "@" and "" is lost:

    There is no record for "". That line is a second A record for "www".
    But since the IP address is the same as the previous line, it's a
    duplicate and ignored when loading the zone on the master.

    > $ORIGIN .
    > $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    > mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    > 2006072506 ; serial
    > 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    > 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    > 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    > 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    > )
    > NS whatever.
    > NS whatever.
    > MX 0 whatever.
    > MX 10 whatever.

    Are you sure the A record for @ isn't included in the above batch of
    lines? I presume @ = mydomain.tld, so BIND would have put that above.
    I suspect you left it out when doing all the editing to hide your domain.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: "@" entries and "" entries not transferring

    Hi,

    Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    >
    >> primary master:
    >>
    >> $ORIGIN .
    >> $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    >> mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    >> 2006072506 ; serial
    >> 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    >> 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    >> 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    >> 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    >> )
    >> NS whatever.
    >> NS whatever.
    >> MX 0 whatever.
    >> MX 10 whatever.
    >>
    >> $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.
    >>
    >> test A 192.168.0.100
    >> @ A 192.168.0.100
    >> www A 192.168.0.100
    >> A 192.168.0.100
    >>
    >> After transferring the zone to the secondary "@" and "" is lost:

    > There is no record for "". That line is a second A record for "www".
    > But since the IP address is the same as the previous line, it's a
    > duplicate and ignored when loading the zone on the master.

    OK, but I was told that this is what to do if I want to create a record for
    my domain. And I do not have a special webserver for www *and* mydomain.

    >> $ORIGIN .
    >> $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    >> mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    >> 2006072506 ; serial
    >> 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    >> 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    >> 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    >> 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    >> )
    >> NS whatever.
    >> NS whatever.
    >> MX 0 whatever.
    >> MX 10 whatever.

    > Are you sure the A record for @ isn't included in the above batch of
    > lines? I presume @ = mydomain.tld, so BIND would have put that above.

    root@mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org
    Server: 192.168.0.80
    Address: 192.168.0.80#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    *** Can't find mydomain.org: No answer

    root@mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org ns1
    Server: ns1
    Address: 192.168.0.90#53

    Name: mydomain.org
    Address: 192.168.0.100

    root@mx1:/root#

    > I suspect you left it out when doing all the editing to hide your domain.

    Nope! What should I do now, report a bug?

    Thanks, Helmut

    --
    Please do not feed my mailbox, Swen still does his job well

  4. Re: "@" entries and "" entries not transferring

    Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Barry Margolin (barmar@alum.mit.edu) wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    >>

    >>> primary master:
    >>>
    >>> $ORIGIN .
    >>> $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    >>> mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    >>> 2006072506 ; serial
    >>> 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    >>> 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    >>> 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    >>> 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    >>> )
    >>> NS whatever.
    >>> NS whatever.
    >>> MX 0 whatever.
    >>> MX 10 whatever.
    >>>
    >>> $ORIGIN mydomain.tld.
    >>>
    >>> test A 192.168.0.100
    >>> @ A 192.168.0.100
    >>> www A 192.168.0.100
    >>> A 192.168.0.100
    >>>
    >>> After transferring the zone to the secondary "@" and "" is lost:
    >>>

    >> There is no record for "". That line is a second A record for "www".
    >> But since the IP address is the same as the previous line, it's a
    >> duplicate and ignored when loading the zone on the master.
    >>

    > OK, but I was told that this is what to do if I want to create a record for
    > my domain. And I do not have a special webserver for www *and* mydomain.

    This is one of the dangers of taking a piece of advice such as "to
    create an A record for the zone apex (i.e. the name which is the same as
    the zone itself), just specify the A record with an owner name of
    whitespace", without understanding the context or underlying theory.

    The *rule* in master files is: if the owner name is given as whitespace,
    the owner name is taken by the parser to "inherit" the last
    non-whitespace owner name. (This implies, by the way, that it's illegal
    for the owner name of the first RR in a zone file to be whitespace,
    since in that case, there is nothing to inherit). The advice you
    followed would have been fine, as long as the owner name that was being
    inherited was the name of the zone (which can, as a convenience, also be
    given as "@"). But, you took the advice without understanding its
    context-sensitive nature, and put the white-space-owning RR right after
    an RR with an owner name of "www". So it inherited "www" as its owner
    name, which isn't what you intended. Furthermore, since the A record
    resolved to the same value as the "www" RR, it was effectively a
    duplicate, and thus suppressed by the parser completely.

    Possible solutions? Put the white-space-owning RR under a "@"-owning RR,
    under an RR with the name of the zone spelled out, underneath a series
    of white-space-owning RRs which are in turn under one of the things
    already mentioned, or just give up on the white-space-owner construct
    for now, until you're more comfortable with master-file syntax, and just
    spell all of the owner names out explicitly. It makes your zone file
    verbose, and arguably less readable, but at least you stay out of
    trouble that way.

    >>> $ORIGIN .
    >>> $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    >>> mydomain.tld IN SOA whatever. admin.whatever. (
    >>> 2006072506 ; serial
    >>> 28800 ; refresh (8 hours)
    >>> 7200 ; retry (2 hours)
    >>> 604800 ; expire (1 week)
    >>> 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    >>> )
    >>> NS whatever.
    >>> NS whatever.
    >>> MX 0 whatever.
    >>> MX 10 whatever.
    >>>

    >> Are you sure the A record for @ isn't included in the above batch of
    >> lines? I presume @ = mydomain.tld, so BIND would have put that above.
    >>

    > root@mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org
    > Server: 192.168.0.80
    > Address: 192.168.0.80#53
    >
    > Non-authoritative answer:
    > *** Can't find mydomain.org: No answer
    >
    > root@mx1:/root# nslookup mydomain.org ns1
    > Server: ns1
    > Address: 192.168.0.90#53
    >
    > Name: mydomain.org
    > Address: 192.168.0.100
    >
    > root@mx1:/root#
    >

    >> I suspect you left it out when doing all the editing to hide your domain.
    >>

    > Nope! What should I do now, report a bug?

    No, you should post the *unedited* versions of the files for comparison
    so we can see where you made your editing mistake.

    - Kevin

+ Reply to Thread