Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7 - DNS

This is a discussion on Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7 - DNS ; Hello to the BIND-users list, I am a newly subscribed member to this list, so kindly forgive any faux pas that I might make when asking assistance. I have searched through the mailing list archives for an answer to an ...

  1. Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7

    Hello to the BIND-users list,

    I am a newly subscribed member to this list, so kindly forgive any faux pas
    that I might make when asking assistance. I have searched through the
    mailing list archives for an answer to an issue I am experiencing, but I had
    not luck, so please don't flame me in case I am asking something that is
    regularly asked here. Please also feel free to point me towards the correct
    protocol in case this is a dumb question...

    In any case, I have a BIND-8.4.7 server that acts as a secondary from a
    MyDNS server. The axfr works just fine, but it seems that Bind ignores the
    TTL on records where the TTL is less than 300s (5 minutes). It does not
    matter if I set the TTL of a record to something smaller (like 30s) on the
    MyDNS server, when BIND axfr's it, it makes that TTL 300s. The only thing I
    can suspect is that in the Bind source somewhere, there is a #define that
    specifies what the minimum TTL is that Bind will accept. If it axfr's a
    value less than this, it overrides it with its minimum.

    Now I've tried searching through the Bind source for anything '300' and I
    have found some definitions, but unfortunately, I cannot assess whether this
    is the setting that I am looking for. Could anyone that has encountered this
    (and rectified it), please point me in the right direction on where I can
    change this?

    Thanks,

    Stefan Schoeman
    South Africa

  2. Re: Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7

    In article ,
    "Stefan Schoeman" wrote:

    > In any case, I have a BIND-8.4.7 server that acts as a secondary from a
    > MyDNS server. The axfr works just fine, but it seems that Bind ignores the
    > TTL on records where the TTL is less than 300s (5 minutes). It does not
    > matter if I set the TTL of a record to something smaller (like 30s) on the
    > MyDNS server, when BIND axfr's it, it makes that TTL 300s. The only thing I
    > can suspect is that in the Bind source somewhere, there is a #define that
    > specifies what the minimum TTL is that Bind will accept. If it axfr's a
    > value less than this, it overrides it with its minimum.

    I've never heard of such behavior from a BIND server. Are you sure it's
    not MyDNS that's doing it? Have you done "dig axfr
    @" to see what it's actually sending?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: Configuring Absolute minimum TTL in BIND-8.4.7

    Thank you for your reply Barry,

    Yes, axfr from the MyDNS server did show the larger TTL. However, I was
    still not convinced that it was not the dig from Bind that caused this, so I
    did a tcpdump and analysed with Ethereal. Indeed, the MyDNS server reported
    the larger TTL, but only for axfr. A dig query for the specific record
    returned the correct TTL for the individual record. It turns out that MyDNS
    has a configuration setting to override individual record TTL's with the
    minimum TTL for the domain itself which is active by default. Altered this
    and now Bind gets the correct axfr response.

    Thanks for the help.

    Stefan Schoeman
    South Africa

    > I've never heard of such behavior from a BIND server. Are you sure it's
    > not MyDNS that's doing it? Have you done "dig axfr
    > @" to see what it's actually sending?

+ Reply to Thread