building a DNS system - DNS

This is a discussion on building a DNS system - DNS ; Hi, Actually I am using a DNS server which activities are: - handling about 3000 domains as master nameserver - processing mail forwarding - performing some HTTP queries (like web forwarding) I want building a dedicated secondary server with the ...

  1. building a DNS system

    Hi,

    Actually I am using a DNS server which activities are:
    - handling about 3000 domains as master nameserver
    - processing mail forwarding
    - performing some HTTP queries (like web forwarding)

    I want building a dedicated secondary server with the same
    functionality if the first one is down.

    Primary server: Fedora FC3, Bind 9.5.2
    Secondary serveur: Fedora FC3, Bind 9.5.2
    A domain name: mydomain.com with the two nameservers above.

    Processing mail forwarding is easy, the domain name is defined with two
    MX records (the first nameserver and the secondary nameserver) but
    about web forwarding...

    I define my zonefile on both nameservers :

    $TTL 3H
    @ IN SOA PRIMARY_SERVEUR. MAIL. (
    2006071416; Serial
    3H ; Refresh
    2H ; Retry
    1W ; Expire
    1D ) ; Minimum
    IN NS PRIMARY_SERVEUR.
    IN NS SECONDARY_SERVEUR.
    IN MX 0 PRIMARY_SERVEUR.
    IN MX 10 SECONDARY_SERVEUR.
    IN A IP_OF_PRIMARY_SERVEUR
    www IN A IP_OF_PRIMARY_SERVEUR

    If the primary server is totally down:
    DNS will be handled by the secondary NS -> OK
    Mail will be handled by the secondary MX = secondary NS -> OK
    http will be handled by IP_OF_PRIMARY_SERVEUR which is down -> no web
    forwarding available.

    What is the solution ?
    Do I need a third server which will process http queries and each A
    record points to its IP, but if this server is down ?
    Can I use only two servers ? if yes, how ?

    Thanks for your replies !!!

  2. Re: building a DNS system

    You need another solution for the http traffic.
    DNS will just round-robin the two addresses
    even if one is down.

    --
    jbeasley@sdf.lonestar.org