Re: How to override an A record - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: How to override an A record - DNS ; --On Friday, July 14, 2006 09:58:21 -0400 Bill Sandiford wrote: > I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS > servers without breaking the lookups for all other records in that > domain and ...

  1. Re: How to override an A record

    wrote:

    > I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS
    > servers without breaking the lookups for all other records in that
    > domain and any subdomains.

    Configure your server such that www.foo.bar.com is a domain, with a single
    A record
    for the domain name. If you need baz.www.foo.bar.com to point back to the
    original servers you've got a harder problem. You could put NS records in
    for known subdomains, but that doesn't guarantee everything will work. It
    might be possible to solve that with a wildcard NS record, if thats even
    legal....

    It should be obvious that this is a hack, but its about the best you can do
    without a transparent proxy of some form, which wouldn't be solving it via
    DNS.

    -David Nolan
    Network Software Designer
    Computing Services
    Carnegie Mellon University

  2. Re: How to override an A record

    Thanks David:

    I'm not worried about resolution of further subdomains below
    www.foo.bar.com. My problem is that I am worried about other A records (or
    records of other types) in the foo.bar.com domain. For example, I want to
    override a single A record www.foo.bar.com but I still want the A record
    for say, www2.foo.bar.com to resolve through normal channels from the true
    authoritive DNS server.

    Bill

    "David Nolan" wrote in message

    > --On Friday, July 14, 2006 09:58:21 -0400 Bill Sandiford
    > wrote:
    >

    >> I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS
    >> servers without breaking the lookups for all other records in that
    >> domain and any subdomains.
    >>

    > Configure your server such that www.foo.bar.com is a domain, with a single
    > A record
    > for the domain name. If you need baz.www.foo.bar.com to point back to the
    > original servers you've got a harder problem. You could put NS records in
    > for known subdomains, but that doesn't guarantee everything will work. It
    > might be possible to solve that with a wildcard NS record, if thats even
    > legal....
    >
    > It should be obvious that this is a hack, but its about the best you can
    > do
    > without a transparent proxy of some form, which wouldn't be solving it via
    > DNS.
    >
    > -David Nolan
    > Network Software Designer
    > Computing Services
    > Carnegie Mellon University

  3. Re: How to override an A record

    Bill Sandiford a écrit :

    > I'm not worried about resolution of further subdomains below
    > www.foo.bar.com. My problem is that I am worried about other A records (or
    > records of other types) in the foo.bar.com domain. For example, I want to
    > override a single A record www.foo.bar.com but I still want the A record
    > for say, www2.foo.bar.com to resolve through normal channels from the true
    > authoritive DNS server.

    As David said, make your DNS server authoritative for the zone
    www.foo.bar.com (not foo.bar.com) and put your A record www.foo.bar.com
    in it. Be aware that it will mask any other www.foo.bar.com record, not
    only the A record.

  4. Re: How to override an A record

    I'm not sure why you're worried about this. Things you do in the
    example.com zone don't mess up the .com zone, do they? This is just the
    same thing except a couple of levels farther down in the namespace
    hierarchy.

    - Kevin

    Bill Sandiford wrote:
    > Thanks David:
    >
    > I'm not worried about resolution of further subdomains below
    > www.foo.bar.com. My problem is that I am worried about other A records (or
    > records of other types) in the foo.bar.com domain. For example, I want to
    > override a single A record www.foo.bar.com but I still want the A record
    > for say, www2.foo.bar.com to resolve through normal channels from the true
    > authoritive DNS server.
    >
    > Bill
    >
    > "David Nolan" wrote in message
    >
    >> --On Friday, July 14, 2006 09:58:21 -0400 Bill Sandiford
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>> I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS
    >>> servers without breaking the lookups for all other records in that
    >>> domain and any subdomains.
    >>>

    >> Configure your server such that www.foo.bar.com is a domain, with a single
    >> A record
    >> for the domain name. If you need baz.www.foo.bar.com to point back to the
    >> original servers you've got a harder problem. You could put NS records in
    >> for known subdomains, but that doesn't guarantee everything will work. It
    >> might be possible to solve that with a wildcard NS record, if thats even
    >> legal....
    >>
    >> It should be obvious that this is a hack, but its about the best you can
    >> do
    >> without a transparent proxy of some form, which wouldn't be solving it via
    >> DNS.
    >>
    >> -David Nolan
    >> Network Software Designer
    >> Computing Services
    >> Carnegie Mellon University

  5. Re: How to override an A record

    Yes, this worked.

    Thanks to all that helped.

    "Pascal Hambourg" wrote in message
    > Bill Sandiford a écrit :
    >>
    >> I'm not worried about resolution of further subdomains below
    >> www.foo.bar.com. My problem is that I am worried about other A records
    >> (or
    >> records of other types) in the foo.bar.com domain. For example, I want
    >> override a single A record www.foo.bar.com but I still want the A record
    >> for say, www2.foo.bar.com to resolve through normal channels from the
    >> true
    >> authoritive DNS server.

    > As David said, make your DNS server authoritative for the zone
    > www.foo.bar.com (not foo.bar.com) and put your A record www.foo.bar.com
    > in it. Be aware that it will mask any other www.foo.bar.com record, not
    > only the A record.

+ Reply to Thread