How to override an A record - DNS

This is a discussion on How to override an A record - DNS ; Hello! I'm trying to solve a problem and I am looking for some assistance. I want to configure my BIND 9 DNS server so that when one of my users tries to lookup a certain A record from an external ...

  1. How to override an A record

    Hello!

    I'm trying to solve a problem and I am looking for some assistance.

    I want to configure my BIND 9 DNS server so that when one of my users tries
    to lookup a certain A record from an external domain the response they
    receive comes from my records for that particular record, but the rest of
    the domain will still resolve properly. For example

    Lets say I want to intercept all traffic to www.foo.bar.com at the DNS level
    to 2.3.4.5, but I want all other queries for bar.com and any other
    subdomains to work properly. We also need to assume that transfers of the
    domain bar.com from its authoritive name servers are denied.

    I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS servers
    without breaking the lookups for all other records in that domain and any
    subdomains.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Regards,
    Bill

  2. Re: How to override an A record

    I'm not really sure and I have not tested it because of no time.

    But I think if you make your nameservers authoritative for the zone
    foo.bar.com you can put all records you want in that zone.

    The lookups for other records outside the subdomain foo.bar.com should
    not be broken.

    Please let me know if I'm wrong here.

    Regards,
    Urban

    Bill Sandiford wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm trying to solve a problem and I am looking for some assistance.
    >
    > I want to configure my BIND 9 DNS server so that when one of my users tries
    > to lookup a certain A record from an external domain the response they
    > receive comes from my records for that particular record, but the rest of
    > the domain will still resolve properly. For example
    >
    > Lets say I want to intercept all traffic to www.foo.bar.com at the DNS level
    > to 2.3.4.5, but I want all other queries for bar.com and any other
    > subdomains to work properly. We also need to assume that transfers of the
    > domain bar.com from its authoritive name servers are denied.
    >
    > I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS servers
    > without breaking the lookups for all other records in that domain and any
    > subdomains.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Bill

  3. Re: How to override an A record

    Yes, but the problem is that I only want to override 1 or 2 A records in
    foo.bar.com. I don't know what all the other records for foo.bar.com are
    (because xfer is denied by the authoritative server) and I don't want to
    break them.

    Basically, I want to replace (override) 1 or 2 A records in foo.bar.com
    without breaking the rest of the records in foo.bar.com (and bar.com for
    that matter)

    I guess the question is how do I make my name server authoritative for 1 or
    2 specific records in a zone, but not the rest of the records in the zone.
    I still need it to look up through normal queries the rest of the records.

    Regards,
    Bill

    "Urban Loesch" wrote in message
    > I'm not really sure and I have not tested it because of no time.
    >
    > But I think if you make your nameservers authoritative for the zone
    > foo.bar.com you can put all records you want in that zone.
    >
    > The lookups for other records outside the subdomain foo.bar.com should
    > not be broken.
    >
    > Please let me know if I'm wrong here.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Urban
    >
    > Bill Sandiford wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> I'm trying to solve a problem and I am looking for some assistance.
    >>
    >> I want to configure my BIND 9 DNS server so that when one of my users
    >> tries
    >> to lookup a certain A record from an external domain the response they
    >> receive comes from my records for that particular record, but the rest of
    >> the domain will still resolve properly. For example
    >>
    >> Lets say I want to intercept all traffic to www.foo.bar.com at the DNS
    >> level
    >> to 2.3.4.5, but I want all other queries for bar.com and any other
    >> subdomains to work properly. We also need to assume that transfers of
    >> the
    >> domain bar.com from its authoritive name servers are denied.
    >>
    >> I need to know how to place a record for www.foo.bar.com into my DNS
    >> servers
    >> without breaking the lookups for all other records in that domain and any
    >> subdomains.
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Bill