Name Servers - DNS

This is a discussion on Name Servers - DNS ; Hi! I'm a bit of a noob to BIND, but not to Linux. Here's what I'm trying to do. We host domains for some companies, and at present, all our DNS is outsourced. I am attempting to host 2 DNS ...

  1. Name Servers

    Hi!
    I'm a bit of a noob to BIND, but not to Linux.

    Here's what I'm trying to do.

    We host domains for some companies, and at present, all our DNS is
    outsourced.

    I am attempting to host 2 DNS servers at out head office, and use them as
    our name servers for the domains, e.g. ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com

    Is there a "HowTo" somewhere that can help me easily create a bind "Cluster"
    (for want of a better word.)
    i.e. Make a change on ns1 and the change will also reflect on ns2...

    Thanks for ya help!
    Doug

    Doug Hall
    IT Support Engineer
    Broadsystem Ltd
    T: 01753 433000
    D: 01753 433042
    M: 07712 875492
    http://www.broadsystem.com/

    Broadata is the new online data enhancement and cleansing service from Broadsystem. Combining speed with ease of use it is arguably the most efficient and effective solution of its kind on the market today!

    ************************************************** *********************************
    This email is from Broadsystem Limited. The information in this email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error please notify the Email Administrator using the email address administrator@broadsystem.com and delete the email and any attachments immediately. Views or opinions expressed by an individual within this email may not necessarily reflect the views of Broadsystem Ltd or its associated companies. Accordingly, if you wish to rely on any statements made in this email you should seek written (not email) confirmation of such statements. Broadsystem reserves the right to monitor emails in accordance with the Telecommunications (Law
    ful Business Practice) (Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.Broadsystem Limited is registered in England (no. 1864565) with its registered address at 1 Virginia Street, London E98 1XY. Main switchboard (Chalfont): 01753 433000
    ************************************************** *********************************

  2. Re: Name Servers

    In article ,
    "Douglas Hall" wrote:

    > Hi!
    > I'm a bit of a noob to BIND, but not to Linux.
    >
    > Here's what I'm trying to do.
    >
    > We host domains for some companies, and at present, all our DNS is
    > outsourced.
    >
    > I am attempting to host 2 DNS servers at out head office, and use them as
    > our name servers for the domains, e.g. ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com
    >
    > Is there a "HowTo" somewhere that can help me easily create a bind "Cluster"
    > (for want of a better word.)
    > i.e. Make a change on ns1 and the change will also reflect on ns2...

    Why do you want to take over DNS hosting if you don't even know one of
    the most basic things about running DNS servers? If you can't hire
    someone who knows DNS, stick with the out-sourcing. The tutorials might
    help you get this set up, but you still won't have anyone who knows how
    to troubleshoot when things go wrong.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA