Why is slave zone different from master zone..? - DNS

This is a discussion on Why is slave zone different from master zone..? - DNS ; Hi, On my master NS I have this reverse map: ----------- $TTL 86400 ; 1 day $ORIGIN 64.65.66.IN-ADDR.ARPA. @ IN SOA ns1.xxx.dk. dns.xxx.dk. ( 2006071305 ; serial 10800 ; refresh (3 hours) 3600 ; retry (1 hour) 1209600 ; expire ...

  1. Why is slave zone different from master zone..?

    Hi,

    On my master NS I have this reverse map:

    -----------
    $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    $ORIGIN 64.65.66.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
    @ IN SOA ns1.xxx.dk. dns.xxx.dk. (
    2006071305 ; serial
    10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
    3600 ; retry (1 hour)
    1209600 ; expire (2 weeks)
    86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    )
    NS ns1.xxx.dk.
    NS ns2.xxx.dk.

    ; Begin
    2 PTR ns1.xxx.dk.
    ; End
    -----------

    But when this zone has been AXFR'ed to my slave NS, it comes to look
    like this:

    -----------
    $ORIGIN .
    $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    64.65.66.in-addr.arpa IN SOA ns1.xxx.dk. dns.xxx.dk. (
    2006071305 ; serial
    10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
    3600 ; retry (1 hour)
    1209600 ; expire (2 weeks)
    86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    )
    NS ns1.xxx.dk.
    NS ns2.xxx.dk.
    $ORIGIN 64.65.66.in-addr.arpa.
    2 PTR ns1.xxx.dk.
    -----------

    Can someone explain to me, why the $ORIGIN directive is being moved from
    the top of the zone to the resource record(s) area - and the @ wildcard
    in the SOA record is replaced with $ORIGIN value?

    Should I construct my master zone differently, or is the design ok?

    Thank you
    /Ronni

  2. Re: Why is slave zone different from master zone..?

    Ronni Jensen wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > On my master NS I have this reverse map:
    >
    > -----------
    > $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    > $ORIGIN 64.65.66.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
    > @ IN SOA ns1.xxx.dk. dns.xxx.dk. (
    > 2006071305 ; serial
    > 10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
    > 3600 ; retry (1 hour)
    > 1209600 ; expire (2 weeks)
    > 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    > )
    > NS ns1.xxx.dk.
    > NS ns2.xxx.dk.
    >
    > ; Begin
    > 2 PTR ns1.xxx.dk.
    > ; End
    > -----------
    >
    > But when this zone has been AXFR'ed to my slave NS, it comes to look
    > like this:
    >
    > -----------
    > $ORIGIN .
    > $TTL 86400 ; 1 day
    > 64.65.66.in-addr.arpa IN SOA ns1.xxx.dk. dns.xxx.dk. (
    > 2006071305 ; serial
    > 10800 ; refresh (3 hours)
    > 3600 ; retry (1 hour)
    > 1209600 ; expire (2 weeks)
    > 86400 ; minimum (1 day)
    > )
    > NS ns1.xxx.dk.
    > NS ns2.xxx.dk.
    > $ORIGIN 64.65.66.in-addr.arpa.
    > 2 PTR ns1.xxx.dk.
    > -----------
    >
    > Can someone explain to me, why the $ORIGIN directive is being moved from
    > the top of the zone to the resource record(s) area - and the @ wildcard
    > in the SOA record is replaced with $ORIGIN value?
    >
    > Should I construct my master zone differently, or is the design ok?
    >
    > Thank you
    > /Ronni

    Ronni,

    Everything looks fine to me. $ORIGIN has been moved because if you see
    the first declaration of $ORIGIN it is referring to ".", the second
    declaration of $ORIGIN is showing for 64.65.66.in-addr.arpa.

    Also note, that @ symbol is DNS Bind shorthand for $ORIGIN

    Thanks

    Mike

+ Reply to Thread