Preparing Change of an IP address - DNS

This is a discussion on Preparing Change of an IP address - DNS ; Hi, we are preparing the change of a web servers IP address. I know, at that point I have to expect that clients will get a wrong IP address for a certain time frame. My intent is to get this ...

  1. Preparing Change of an IP address

    Hi,

    we are preparing the change of a web servers IP address. I know, at
    that point I have to expect that clients will get a wrong IP address
    for a certain time frame. My intent is to get this time frame as short
    as reasonably possible.

    Currently my zone files have the following header:

    @ IN SOA foo.com. root.foo.com. (
    2006030500 ; Serial
    28800 ; Refresh
    14400 ; Retry
    3600000 ; Expire
    86400 ) ; Minimum

    Can anyone recommend good values, which I would enter for a few days?

    Regards,

    Jochen

  2. Re: Preparing Change of an IP address

    In article , jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > we are preparing the change of a web servers IP address. I know, at
    > that point I have to expect that clients will get a wrong IP address
    > for a certain time frame. My intent is to get this time frame as short
    > as reasonably possible.
    >
    > Currently my zone files have the following header:
    >
    > @ IN SOA foo.com. root.foo.com. (
    > 2006030500 ; Serial
    > 28800 ; Refresh
    > 14400 ; Retry
    > 3600000 ; Expire
    > 86400 ) ; Minimum
    >
    > Can anyone recommend good values, which I would enter for a few days?

    If you make use of NOTIFY to update your slave servers, you don't need
    to modify your SOA record at all.

    In advance of the change, enter an explicit TTL on the A record that
    you're going to change, and set it to something short. After the
    change, once you're sure you're not going to change it back, you can
    remove this explicit TTL and let it inherit the default from the $TTL
    statement.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA