TLD Wildcard - DNS

This is a discussion on TLD Wildcard - DNS ; Hi, i need to setup a intranet DNS server. This server will have 3 ip addresses. 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4. 10.0.0.2 and 3 are nameserver ips and will used as prefered and alternate dns servers on other clients. when somebody ...

  1. TLD Wildcard

    Hi,

    i need to setup a intranet DNS server. This server will have 3 ip
    addresses.
    10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4. 10.0.0.2 and 3 are nameserver ips and
    will used as prefered and alternate dns servers on other clients.

    when somebody type a domainname like anydomain.local this servers
    answer should be 10.0.0.4

    there will be thousends of domainnames like ****.local so i should
    setup a wildcard for this toplevel domain.

    Can i use bind for toplevel wildcard? and how?

    Regards
    Berk Guzel

  2. Re: TLD Wildcard

    In article , "ykavcisi"
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i need to setup a intranet DNS server. This server will have 3 ip
    > addresses.
    > 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.4. 10.0.0.2 and 3 are nameserver ips and
    > will used as prefered and alternate dns servers on other clients.
    >
    > when somebody type a domainname like anydomain.local this servers
    > answer should be 10.0.0.4
    >
    > there will be thousends of domainnames like ****.local so i should
    > setup a wildcard for this toplevel domain.
    >
    > Can i use bind for toplevel wildcard? and how?

    That's not a top-level wildcard, it's a second-level wildcard. So just
    put a wildcard in the "local" zone file:

    * IN A 10.0.0.4

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA