How to override a DNS entry on internal network? (for soem hostsonly!) - DNS

This is a discussion on How to override a DNS entry on internal network? (for soem hostsonly!) - DNS ; Hello! We have a bind DNS in our company, and we would like to be able to use it to override the mappings provided by an external master DNS server for our domain. For example... There is a ns1.mydomain.com somewhere ...

  1. How to override a DNS entry on internal network? (for soem hostsonly!)

    Hello!

    We have a bind DNS in our company, and we would like to be able to use
    it to override the mappings provided by an external master DNS server
    for our domain.

    For example...

    There is a ns1.mydomain.com somewhere out there on the internet and it
    translates the following hostnames:

    host1.mydomain.com (123.123.123.123)
    host2.mydomain.com (123.123.123.124)

    we now want to be able to override the entry for host1.mydomain.com if
    looked up from within the company intranet which is served by the
    Company intranet DNS...

    BUT

    .... in this intranet DNS we want to edit only the hosts that we want
    to override. Meaning there was no host2.mydomain.com entry in
    intranet DNS then the Internet DNS Server should be looked up and the
    123.123.123.124 IP returned.

    I was able to set the intranet DNS to override the whole domain but I
    don't want to have to enter each Master record of the internet DNS. Is
    there some way to pass the query to another domain DNS if no local
    entry found?

    Any other suggestions?

  2. Re: How to override a DNS entry on internal network? (for soem hostsonly!)

    On Jul 18, 8:18*pm, mara...@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > We have a bind DNS in our company, and we would like to be able to use
    > it to override the mappings provided by an external master DNS server
    > for our domain.
    >
    > For example...
    >
    > There is a ns1.mydomain.com somewhere out there on the internet and it
    > translates the following hostnames:
    >
    > host1.mydomain.com (123.123.123.123)
    > host2.mydomain.com (123.123.123.124)
    >
    > we now want to be able to override the entry for host1.mydomain.com if
    > looked up from within the company intranet which is served by the
    > Company intranet DNS...
    >
    > BUT
    >
    > ... in this intranet DNS we want to edit only the hosts that we want
    > to override. Meaning there was no *host2.mydomain.com entry in
    > intranet DNS then the Internet DNS Server should be looked up and the
    > 123.123.123.124 IP returned.
    >
    > I was able to set the intranet DNS to override the whole domain but I
    > don't want to have to enter each Master record of the internet DNS. Is
    > there some way to pass the query to another domain DNS if no local
    > entry found?
    >
    > Any other suggestions?

    http://www.isaserver.org/tutorials/Y...Split_DNS.html

    leancode at the same email provider as youself

+ Reply to Thread