DNS System with Filtering - DNS

This is a discussion on DNS System with Filtering - DNS ; Hi, I would like to know how the opendns handles filtering system. I would like to setup a DNS server which will have filtering system like OpenDNS. It will have different configuration for different IPs. For example, I will filter ...

  1. DNS System with Filtering

    Hi,

    I would like to know how the opendns handles filtering system.

    I would like to setup a DNS server which will have filtering system
    like OpenDNS. It will have different configuration for different IPs.
    For example, I will filter some websites for some IPs, those IPs will
    see a forbidden page. This is very simple for proxy but I just want to
    use DNS. Is there any module or software for this? OpenDNS has this
    system but I could not figure out how they do.

    Thanks,

    Beyza

  2. Re: DNS System with Filtering

    In article , Beyza
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to know how the opendns handles filtering system.

    They don't use BIND, I think they wrote a custom DNS server to implement
    all their fancy options.

    > I would like to setup a DNS server which will have filtering system
    > like OpenDNS. It will have different configuration for different IPs.
    > For example, I will filter some websites for some IPs, those IPs will
    > see a forbidden page. This is very simple for proxy but I just want to
    > use DNS. Is there any module or software for this? OpenDNS has this
    > system but I could not figure out how they do.

    The only feature BIND has for giving different answers to different
    clients is views, but they're probably much too coarse for what you want
    to do.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA