On RedHat/Fedora it is:

zone "." IN {
type hint;
file "named.root";
};

I'd assume it's the same on others. Make certain the file exists.
There has been some recent confusion regarding this, where, on some
distros, named.conf calls for named.root, when the packaged file has
been named named.ca. This obviously won't work, so:

In a chrooted environment:
cd /var/named/chroot/var/named/
mv named.ca named.root

Or in a non-chained environment:
cd /var/named/
mv named.ca named.root

Just make sure that file "", matches with either /var/named/
chroot/var/named/ or with /var/named/, as is applicable
to you.

Steven Stromer