What kind of DNS server are you trying to create? Cashing etc...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Hoffman"
To: bind-users@isc.org
Sent: Thursday, April 17, 2008 1:03:32 PM GMT -09:00 Alaska
Subject: Wits end

Okay, so I tried offering up to 50 dollars an hour to help me set up a
simple nameserver, but no takers.

I really need some help. My first time doing it.

At this point I would just be happy to be able to do a dig or nslookup to a
website like google.

Another issue is the named-checkconf and named-checkzone do not seem to like
how centos has chrooted the files and so far I have been unable to
successfully run these tools.

This is my named.conf right now and causes no errors in the message logs.
I get a timed out, no servers could be reached when doing dig google.com
I have etc/resolv.conf saying search localhost on one line and nameserver
xx.xx.xx.xx on the next.
My host name is localhost, full is localhost.localdomian.
AAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

controls {}; shuts off rndc as I have no network

options {
directory "/var/named/";
allow-recursion { xx.xx.xx/24; localhost; }; the xx is the first
three parts of the ip address of my server.
}; this option only lets my server use recursion on my nameserver and not
everyone else in the world.

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "127.0.0.zone"; this file causes no errors
allow-update { none; };
allow-transfer { none; };
};

zone "." {
type hint;
file "root.hint"; it finds it and has all the root servers
};

zone "localhost" IN {
type master;
file "localhost.zone"; seems okay
allow-update { none; };
allow-transfer { none; };
};

Good thing the server is in the datacenter or I would be on the news as I
light this thing on fire in my front yard. Jumping jesus