This is completely useless information - I'm on the opposite side of the
globe. A list which sends me notices about updates and so forth is
useful, mostly for maintaining security. I really don't want to receive
notices about events in random places in the world though. I presume
I'm not alone. Could I suggest that you need a separate list if you
want to publicise such events?

Andrew McNaughton