From: bind-users-bounce@isc.org [mailto:bind-users-bounce@isc.org] On
Behalf Of greg kuechle
Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 3:46 PM
To: bind-users@isc.org
Subject: Re: Number of CPUs detected by Bind 9.4.2 on 4 CPU system
running RedHat es 4.

Hello Matus,
I didn't upgrade the kernel. The kernel supports multiple CPUs. The only
thing that I upgraded was named. I built it from the souce code.The
version that came with the RedHat OS as a package uses all of the CPUs,
when I compile named on the system it will only see 1 CPU.

When I compile and run the following code:

int main()
printf("ncpus: %d\n" , sysconf((_SC_NPROCESSORS_ONLN))):

The result is:
ncpus: 4

There seems to be a problem with the way the 9.4.2 code is getting built
my RedHat systems.

I compiled using the following:
$INSTALL_DIR/configure --prefix=/opt/named --with-openssl
make install

I have three other servers that have the same problem. They are all
RedHat es4.
These are production servers, so I require the use of all of the CPUs.

I also tryed starting named without the -n switch and only one CPU is
detected and one worker thread is started.

Thanks for any Help.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 1:19 PM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas

> On 31.03.08 11:59, greg kuechle wrote:
> > I have install bind 9.4.2 on a system with 4 CPUs running RedHat

es4. I
> > compiled named with the --enable-threads and used the -n 4 flag

when I