Help with DNS error messages - DNS

This is a discussion on Help with DNS error messages - DNS ; I have a webhosting company IX webhosting.com and they host several of my sites. They are about to relocate all the sites to a new physical location and naturally they didn't plan well enough to make sure the sites stay ...

  1. Help with DNS error messages

    I have a webhosting company IX webhosting.com and they host several of my
    sites. They are about to relocate all the sites to a new physical location
    and naturally they didn't plan well enough to make sure the sites stay
    visible and so this weekend all the sites will crash. What I want to do is
    try to get them to setup a page on a remote server that simply hosts the
    error pages. Instead of the idiotic HTML404 error page I want them to post
    a page that simply tells what is happening and that customers can try again
    in 2 or 3 days. Naturally their management console allows me to create
    custom error pages but those will be unavailbale as well as the site so that
    is not a solution. I am wanting them to designate a location that serves as
    the backup location for the error pages and have a server that will not be
    moved hosting the error page.

    I am certain that the DNS protocol allows companies to move web hosting
    servers without killing thousands of customer sites if the hosting company
    does a good job of planning. I just need help telling them how to do it.

    Thanks
    George Mizzell

  2. Re: Help with DNS error messages

    In article ,
    "Funwithme" wrote:

    > I have a webhosting company IX webhosting.com and they host several of my
    > sites. They are about to relocate all the sites to a new physical location
    > and naturally they didn't plan well enough to make sure the sites stay
    > visible and so this weekend all the sites will crash. What I want to do is
    > try to get them to setup a page on a remote server that simply hosts the
    > error pages. Instead of the idiotic HTML404 error page I want them to post
    > a page that simply tells what is happening and that customers can try again
    > in 2 or 3 days. Naturally their management console allows me to create
    > custom error pages but those will be unavailbale as well as the site so that
    > is not a solution. I am wanting them to designate a location that serves as
    > the backup location for the error pages and have a server that will not be
    > moved hosting the error page.
    >
    > I am certain that the DNS protocol allows companies to move web hosting
    > servers without killing thousands of customer sites if the hosting company
    > does a good job of planning. I just need help telling them how to do it.

    They need to contract with ANOTHER web hosting service, who will host
    this error page. Then when they shut down their servers, they can point
    your domain to the address of the error page server.

    The other thing they need to do is reduce your domain's TTL in advance
    of the shutdown. Whatever the current TTL is, they need to reduce the
    TTL at least that far in advance.

    On a non-technical note, I hope you'll be getting a credit for all the
    days that your site is unavailable. This probably won't make up for the
    lost revenue from your sites, but it's presumably the most your contract
    allows.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA