Domain Verification - DNS

This is a discussion on Domain Verification - DNS ; Hey guys, I'm working on a project in which we are trying to verify valid domains by doing nslookups. Users will enter their email addresses and we will do nslookups against the domains in their email addresses. But it seems ...

  1. Domain Verification

    Hey guys,
    I'm working on a project in which we are trying to verify valid
    domains by doing nslookups. Users will enter their email addresses
    and we will do nslookups against the domains in their email
    addresses. But it seems that I can't do lookups on some domains, like
    sbcglobal.net.

    I can find that their domains are registered. Is there some other way
    that I can do domain verification? Or can someone shed some light as
    to why this method would not work. thanks in advanced
    rob

  2. Re: Domain Verification

    In article , rsl315@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hey guys,
    > I'm working on a project in which we are trying to verify valid
    > domains by doing nslookups. Users will enter their email addresses
    > and we will do nslookups against the domains in their email
    > addresses. But it seems that I can't do lookups on some domains, like
    > sbcglobal.net.

    Works fine for me, I suspect there's a problem with what you're doing.

    imac:barmar $ dig sbcglobal.net mx

    ; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> sbcglobal.net mx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 9, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;sbcglobal.net. IN MX

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx5.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx6.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx7.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx8.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx9.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx1.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx2.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx3.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx4.prodigy.net.

    ;; Query time: 49 msec
    ;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Mar 30 21:54:34 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 246

    > I can find that their domains are registered. Is there some other way
    > that I can do domain verification? Or can someone shed some light as
    > to why this method would not work. thanks in advanced

    I suspect you're looking for an A record. But mail prefers MX records,
    and only uses the A record if there's no MX record.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. RE: Domain Verification

    You might want to use "whois " from UNIX/Linux command line.
    This will give you a fair amount of information about domains including
    who they're registered to, DNS servers and contacts.

    Also as Barry mentions you should be searching for MX records if
    specifically interested in email. Rather than using nslookup try:
    "dig -t mx " from UNIX/Linux command line to get MX records.

    > I'm working on a project in which we are trying to verify valid
    > domains by doing nslookups. Users will enter their email addresses
    > and we will do nslookups against the domains in their email
    > addresses. But it seems that I can't do lookups on some domains, like
    > sbcglobal.net.

    Works fine for me, I suspect there's a problem with what you're doing.

    imac:barmar $ dig sbcglobal.net mx

    ; <<>> DiG 9.4.1-P1 <<>> sbcglobal.net mx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 9, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;sbcglobal.net. IN MX

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx5.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx6.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx7.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx8.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx9.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx1.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx2.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx3.prodigy.net.
    sbcglobal.net. 4560 IN MX 10 sbcmx4.prodigy.net.

    ;; Query time: 49 msec
    ;; SERVER: 208.67.222.222#53(208.67.222.222)
    ;; WHEN: Sun Mar 30 21:54:34 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 246

    > I can find that their domains are registered. Is there some other way
    > that I can do domain verification? Or can someone shed some light as
    > to why this method would not work. thanks in advanced

    I suspect you're looking for an A record. But mail prefers MX records,
    and only uses the A record if there's no MX record.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

+ Reply to Thread