Re: help with notify-source - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: help with notify-source - DNS ; hi Barry, yes I did check logs... I even turned on debug logging at level 50... no errors on startup... no errors at times when NOTIFYs were going out on the wrong IP address (in other words not the IP ...

  1. Re: help with notify-source

    hi Barry,
    yes I did check logs... I even turned on debug logging at level 50... no errors on startup... no errors at times when NOTIFYs were going out on the wrong IP address (in other words not the IP configured in notify-source). And yes, I am 100% sure I was editing the named.conf that named was using... I just checked now, and there is no other named.conf, no chroot directory, etc...

    Again, perhaps the issue with BIND and IP's assigned to ethernet alias. BIND kept going to eth1 first, then rotating around all my other IPs on the eth0:[0-3] .... totally ignoring my notify-source. I did post my named.conf... was how I used notify-source ok?

    > hi Mark,
    > Oh I did restart named for sure - several times. Not just reload, but
    > restart. And I definitely used addresses
    > copied from ifconfig, so that wasn't the issue either (just to make sure I
    > didn't typo).
    > named-checkconf reported no errors. I also scoured iptables for some
    > blocking condition
    > that could cause BIND to mess up. Nothing appeared out of order.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of, if it is a BIND bug, is that the IP I used for
    > notify-source was
    > an IP assigned to an ethernet alias (RHEL5).
    >
    > In any case, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some other misconfiguration of
    > mine that is causing this
    > but it sure isn't obvious.

    Are you absolutely sure that the config file you were editing is the one
    that named is using? There have been many occasions when someone has
    edited /etc/named.conf, but their system was actually using
    /etc/named/named.conf, or something like that.

    Have you checked your log to see if it's reporting any errors when it
    starts up?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  2. Re: help with notify-source

    In article , tony z wrote:

    > hi Barry,
    > yes I did check logs... I even turned on debug logging at level 50... no
    > errors on startup... no errors at times when NOTIFYs were going out on the
    > wrong IP address (in other words not the IP configured in notify-source). And
    > yes, I am 100% sure I was editing the named.conf that named was using... I
    > just checked now, and there is no other named.conf, no chroot directory,
    > etc...

    And if you put a syntax error in the file, does it log an error?

    Something MUST be causing it to ignore these lines in the file.

    > Again, perhaps the issue with BIND and IP's assigned to ethernet alias. BIND
    > kept going to eth1 first, then rotating around all my other IPs on the
    > eth0:[0-3] .... totally ignoring my notify-source. I did post my
    > named.conf... was how I used notify-source ok?

    If you used it wrong you would have gotten a syntax error in the log.
    But it's behaving as if you didn't use it at all. Alias IPs are fine,
    that's an expected use of this option.