Re: help with notify-source - DNS

This is a discussion on Re: help with notify-source - DNS ; hi Mark, Oh I did restart named for sure - several times. Not just reload, but restart. And I definitely used addresses copied from ifconfig, so that wasn't the issue either (just to make sure I didn't typo). named-checkconf reported ...

  1. Re: help with notify-source

    hi Mark,
    Oh I did restart named for sure - several times. Not just reload, but restart. And I definitely used addresses
    copied from ifconfig, so that wasn't the issue either (just to make sure I didn't typo).
    named-checkconf reported no errors. I also scoured iptables for some blocking condition
    that could cause BIND to mess up. Nothing appeared out of order.

    The only thing I can think of, if it is a BIND bug, is that the IP I used for notify-source was
    an IP assigned to an ethernet alias (RHEL5).

    In any case, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some other misconfiguration of mine that is causing this
    but it sure isn't obvious.

    > I managed to hack around "notify-source" not working to my expectations. Sinc
    > e BIND wanted to pick a different IP than I told it to via notify-source and
    > listen-on (I wanted this to be the same IP for both purposes), I did the foll
    > owing:
    > - took the IP that BIND seemed to really want to send NOTIFY's on (not the di
    > fferent/desired IP in 'notify-source')
    > - put that IP as the new master DNS IP in the slave definition for allowing t
    > ransfers from
    > - added that IP as a second IP in my 'listen-on' so that BIND would listen on
    > #53 connections from the slave starting the transfer
    > - as an added measure, that IP also went into my notify-source, even though I
    > think (on my config) notify-source is not effective.
    > Voila. AXFRs happen fast and crisp. So notify-source doesn't seem to work to
    > specify the IP used for NOTIFYs.

    I suspect that you did not actually start or re-start named
    with the configuration you said you did or you specfied a
    address that the system was not configured with. These are
    common operator errors.

    There are NO proved cases of notify-source failing in 9
    years of operation. notify-source is used everyday by
    thousands of sites.

    Mark

    --
    Mark Andrews, ISC
    PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews@isc.org

  2. Re: help with notify-source

    In article , tony z wrote:

    > hi Mark,
    > Oh I did restart named for sure - several times. Not just reload, but
    > restart. And I definitely used addresses
    > copied from ifconfig, so that wasn't the issue either (just to make sure I
    > didn't typo).
    > named-checkconf reported no errors. I also scoured iptables for some
    > blocking condition
    > that could cause BIND to mess up. Nothing appeared out of order.
    >
    > The only thing I can think of, if it is a BIND bug, is that the IP I used for
    > notify-source was
    > an IP assigned to an ethernet alias (RHEL5).
    >
    > In any case, I wouldn't bet that there isn't some other misconfiguration of
    > mine that is causing this
    > but it sure isn't obvious.

    Are you absolutely sure that the config file you were editing is the one
    that named is using? There have been many occasions when someone has
    edited /etc/named.conf, but their system was actually using
    /etc/named/named.conf, or something like that.

    Have you checked your log to see if it's reporting any errors when it
    starts up?

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA