On Mar 12, 2008, at 1:48 PM, Paul Vixie wrote:
>> ..., but I'd say numeric TLDs are just a bad idea.

> in the grand scheme of things i fear .EXE more than i fear .123,
> though.

So you must be terrified of .COM (and .PL and .SH and .INFO and ...).

A fully numeric hostname is fundamentally ambiguous if top-level
domains are allowed to be all-numeric -- it would make a parser
writer's life much more complicated (not to mention breaking pretty
much all existing software that does hostname lookups). I'm not sure
I see why a domain name that happens to correspond to a file extension
is that scary. Clicking on http://youranidiot.exe is far less scary
to me that clicking on http:///
youranidiot.exe.

What am I missing?