[It has been suggested that I =B3not feed the trolls=B2 and that this isn't
really relevant to the EVIL 'BIND COMPANY' (which appears to be growing to
encompass the remaining free world) PLOT known as "AXFR Clarify", so this
will be my last response on this thread. I=B9ve been responding to give
people an idea of how things work at IANA. Feel free to delete this message
if this isn=B9t of interest]

Dean,

On 1/23/08 3:48 PM, "Dean Anderson" wrote:
>> It isn't clear to me that they did, at least since I've been at IANA -- =

the
>> last change to the dns-header-flags registry was done on 9 June 2005 (as=

>> result of RFC 4035).

> Hmm. A line became wrong, as Ed noted. Was it always wrong? Are there
> archives? Is there version control?

It just may be Ed made a bit of a booboo. As Josh pointed out, the registr=
appears to always have been the way it is. Whether it is wrong is likely a
value judgment. Yes, there are internal archives and version control.

> Perhaps IANA should notify more contacts of changes to IANA documents.
> I'd like to be on that notification list.

We don't currently have a mechanism in place for this. If others think it
useful, I'll ask to have this discussed with the IESG to see if they feel i=
appropriate (and if so, what priority they'd place on it).

> What controls does IANA have in place to prevent unauthorized changes?
>
> Most institutions have audit trails to discover and prevent unauthorized
> changes to important "stuff".

Audit trails, of course, do not prevent unauthorized changes. All changes
(and proposed changes) are tracked via a ticketing system. Modification of
the IANA registries is limited to authorized personnel (IANA staff) and are
version controlled. We're looking into PGP/GPG signing the registries, but
other priorities have consumed our limited resources.

> Lets try not to have "stuff happen" to important "stuff"

So kind of you to make the suggestion. We'll try to keep it in mind.

Regards,
-drc

archive: