subdomain/split dns question - DNS

This is a discussion on subdomain/split dns question - DNS ; I have begun the process of creating a split external/internal dns setup. I am using bind views so that internal users can see the full zone list, but external users only see the Internet routable addresses. It seems to be ...

  1. subdomain/split dns question

    I have begun the process of creating a split external/internal dns setup. I
    am using bind views so that internal users can see the full zone list, but
    external users only see the Internet routable addresses. It seems to be
    working except for one small issue....I have a subdomain that is delegated
    out to my load balancing devices, i.e. global.company.com - the load
    balancers are running bind, and are authoritative, for the global subdomain.
    When a user queries www.company.com, it is actually an alias to
    www.global.company.com. It looks like the only way that I can get this to
    work is to turn on recursion for the external view, but would rather not. Is
    there some way to do this that I'm missing??? I tried forwarders and stub
    zones but nothing seems to work....Thanks for any help....

  2. Re: subdomain/split dns question

    In article ,
    "Chris Rizzo" wrote:

    > I have begun the process of creating a split external/internal dns setup. I
    > am using bind views so that internal users can see the full zone list, but
    > external users only see the Internet routable addresses. It seems to be
    > working except for one small issue....I have a subdomain that is delegated
    > out to my load balancing devices, i.e. global.company.com - the load
    > balancers are running bind, and are authoritative, for the global subdomain.
    > When a user queries www.company.com, it is actually an alias to
    > www.global.company.com. It looks like the only way that I can get this to
    > work is to turn on recursion for the external view, but would rather not. Is
    > there some way to do this that I'm missing??? I tried forwarders and stub
    > zones but nothing seems to work....Thanks for any help....

    Recursion and forwarders won't help because queries from external
    nameservers will not have the Recursion Desired flag set.

    I don't understand why delegation records in the external view don't
    work for you.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  3. Re: subdomain/split dns question

    Well, I have NS records in the zone for the external view, and I also have
    the A records for these name servers, but still nothing.....