question about forwarding... - DNS

This is a discussion on question about forwarding... - DNS ; Hello, I just ran into a forwarding problem that is beating the heck out of me and my colleagues. Our environment is "bind 8.4.5-REL" for our top-level company domain (bio-rad.com) and lots of sub domains. We also have an active ...

  1. question about forwarding...

    Hello,
    I just ran into a forwarding problem that is beating the heck out of me
    and my colleagues.

    Our environment is "bind 8.4.5-REL" for our top-level company domain
    (bio-rad.com) and lots of sub domains. We also have an active directory
    domain controller as the server for the windows domain
    (global.bio-rad.com).

    Today we tried, on the bind servers, changing the global.bio-rad.com
    domain from a slave to a forwarding entry. The slave setup worked just
    fine. However the forwarding entry does not.

    What is killing me is that I have several other forwarding zone setup and
    all of them work. I have an inverse domain which is forwarded to the same
    AD servers and that works just fine as well. It is just the forward
    lookups that fail.

    In trying to debug things I turned on some network packet tracing. When I
    do a lookup on the inverse zone, I see network packets. When I try a
    lookup into the "global" zone, I see no network traffic.

    In testing I've done hang-up signals as well as actually stopping and
    restarting the server.

    I've even setup forwarding to another set of AD domain controllers in a
    lab with a bogus/test domain and they all work. Everything I try works
    except this particular forwarding zone.

    I've eliminated the possibilities of "typos" in the named.conf file in as
    many ways as occurs to me.

    I've tried turning on some debugging in both dig/nslookup as well as on
    the bind server and I'm afraid I don't have enough background to parse the

    debugging logs.

    I'm looking for suggestions on what to try, what to look for, help?
    Thanks,
    / Sid /

  2. Re: question about forwarding...

    In article , sid_shapiro@bio-rad.com wrote:

    > Hello,
    > I just ran into a forwarding problem that is beating the heck out of me
    > and my colleagues.
    >
    > Our environment is "bind 8.4.5-REL" for our top-level company domain
    > (bio-rad.com) and lots of sub domains. We also have an active directory
    > domain controller as the server for the windows domain
    > (global.bio-rad.com).
    >
    > Today we tried, on the bind servers, changing the global.bio-rad.com
    > domain from a slave to a forwarding entry. The slave setup worked just
    > fine. However the forwarding entry does not.

    Make sure you have NS records in the bio-rad.com zone for the global
    subdomain. Otherwise, the servers think they're authoritative for the
    entire bio-rad.com zone, and will never forward for anything in there.

    --
    Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
    Arlington, MA