We have a real one.

Running the RC, it got overloaded with so many
requests that in essence named dies.

I tried to do a gdb but the gdb seg faulted.

How can I prevent overload, i.e. regulating the number of
requests on DNS from outside the LAN?

Here is a snippnet of the named.conf :

//Use with the following in named.conf, adjusting the allow list as needed:
key "rndc-key" {
algorithm hmac-md5;
secret "7ZbGK94NdSa2WACxx72W1w==";
};

controls {
inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
};

// generated by named-bootconf.pl

options {
directory "/etc/namedb";
pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
dump-file "/etc/named/named.dump";
max-ncache-ttl 86400;
zone-statistics yes;
allow-transfer {

};
allow-notify {

};
also-notify {

};
/*
* If there is a firewall between you and nameservers you want
* to talk to, you might need to uncomment the query-source
* directive below. Previous versions of BIND always asked
* questions using port 53, but BIND 8.1 uses an unprivileged
* port by default.
*/
query-source address * port 53;
version "no";
listen-on {primary dns; localhost; };
rrset-order {
class ANY type ANY name "*" order fixed;
};

};

I would love to kick these DoSSer in the repos so they cannot reproduce.

I wonder if my named and its core would be helpful.

--
Member - Liberal International
This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca

believed to be clean.