In article ,
"bruce" wrote:

> also, if i get an IP Address for a given URL, how do you determine if it's
> really valid? would you have to go back to the authoritative DNS to see if
> the IP is valid. is there a list somewhere for a URL of the valid IP
> Addesses for that URL?

Well, if you somehow managed to gather all this data, you wouldn't need
to do DNS queries any more. You'd have the answers to all your queries
right there in the file.

But this file would be massive. The whole reason the Internet switched
from distributing complete host tables to the distributed DNS mechanism
is because static tables simply don't scale. This was true when the
Internet was born over 20 years ago, and it's even more true now that it
is several orders of magnitude larger.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA