Some domains will resolve to an actual host (like, others
(like do not or do a sort of halfway resolution (that
doesn't work in reverse), like (whose numeric IP reverse
resolves to, tsk, tsk).
Myself, I think it's a Bad Idea to have an actual host that answers to
the same symbolic name as the domain....but our college's former
administrator did so ages ago.

Now I wish transfer the services of the old
host-with-the-same-name-as-the-domain (domain is, and there
is a host's a login server) to a new server, named Everything is set to go, but I find I can't have a
CNAME record like this: CNAME
Seems BIND finds this illegal, and I can sortkinda see why

Is there some way to finesse this, some unugly way to do this. I would
really rather NOT have two A records with the same numeric IP
( and; that's ugly and illegal and causes
problems with spoofing protection. I don't want to give the A record
for the numeric to and have be a CNAME,
though that is less ugly to my sensibilities.

I mean, you can have a domain name with MX records and no A record, why
not a domain name with CNAME and no A record or some equivalent