In article ,

> Everything was going great until my client upgraded his cable modem and
> got a new ip from his/our ISP this caused me to make changes to my dns
> files. Now i am missing something i am sure it is very simple but have
> spent weeks trying to make sense of it. I hate to bother the gurus of
> this list with my problems but am at my wits end and do not know where
> else to turn thank you in advance.
> here is my problem
> all these sites used to work fine internally and externally alike
> hosted externally at
> but use as there primary ns
> hosted externally at
> but use as there primary ns
> virtually hosted at my site
> ip #
> virtually hosted at my site
> ip #
> When i do a external ns lookup i get this for the first

Haven't you been on this list long enough to learn that nslookup is
*not* the right tool for debugging DNS. You must have read a zillion
times that "dig" is better. Why do you persist in using that piece of
crap when you know there's a better way?

> thing i notice is the Non-authoritative answer: that is bad right means
> something is mis configured right. The next thing is the ip address

No, it's normal to get a non-authoritative response from a caching
server. You should only expect an authoritative response when you query
one of the authoritative servers (master or slave). If you get a
non-authoritative response from one them them *then* you know something
is wrong.

> that is the old ip i swear it is not in my records
> anywhere. It should be and i believe all my records on
> and the slave point to
> The lookups for,
>, and are all very similar to the one
> below with the wrong ip.
> Non-authoritative answer:
> nameserver =
> nameserver =

Why don't you have listed in the delegation of the
domain on the GTLD servers?

> Authoritative answers can be found from:
> nameserver =
> nameserver =
> internet address =
> So i do a nslookup of not both of these are external
> lookups using Again i get Non-authoritative answer: and
> most puzzling has the right address but
> does not. I check my records they are correct i
> think have the same address for both
> and

It's coming from the glue record on the GTLD servers, due to the host
registration of NS1.SHOEMASTERS.COM:

$ whois -h

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to
for detailed information.

IP Address:
Registrar: TUCOWS INC.
Whois Server:
Referral URL:

> here are the internal lookups i get the same thing for all the above
> mentioned domains. What did i do ????? how do fix??? thought about
> adding internal views for those domains but they are not really internal
> are they??????
> > /usr/local/etc/namedb/pz #nslookup
> Server:
> Address:
> *** can't find Non-existent host/domain
> Also i can see the web pages for all the listed domains but cannot get
> nslookup to find them. Please help

A client can only access the zones that are listed in the view that it
matches. So if you want internal clients to be able to see the public
zones, you need to include them in both views.

Barry Margolin,
Arlington, MA