> Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 16:35:21 -0500
> From: "Piniella, David A"
> You shouldn't need to compile (or configure) gcc for installation
> itself; sunfreeware (or blastwave.com) offer it as a package which you
> can install with the solaris pkg-add utility (# pkg-add -d gcc.pkg would
> be the command).
> You have to make the "cc" variable in the config that you're trying to
> compile use "gcc" instead of cc (or point to gcc). You can also try
> making /usr/ucb/cc a link to gcc (wherever you have it installed -- if
> it's from sunfreeware.com that'll be /usr/local or /opt unless you
> specified somewhere else.)

After adding the package, all you should have to do is to add an
environment variable called CC that points to gcc...

setenv CC gcc
setenv CC /usr/local/bin/gcc

CC=gcc; export CC
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc; export CC

One of the above should do it. I generally do

setenv CC gcc

with /usr/local/bin in my path (I got the gcc package from

Gregory Hicks

> Make sure that whichever way you choose to do it, you add that directory
> to your path.
> David Piniella

Gregory Hicks | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems | Direct: 408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1 | Fax: 408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134 | Internet: ghicks@cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin