On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 20:26:42 -0500, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article ,
> Mark Andrews wrote:
> > It's not so much about referrals to the TLDs as is it is
> > about all the NXDOMAIN responses.

> But how often do people refer to nonexistent TLDs? They're much more
> likely to mention nonexistent 2LDs, and to reduce all that traffic you'd
> need to slave the popular TLDs.

You'd be surprised. I just took a 30 second snapshot on one of my
busy servers, and better than 10.5% of the queries were for invalid
TLDs.
On a related note, does anybody know what app might be responsible
for generation queries for names like hitbox[2].txt, hitbox[1].txt,
sextracker[1].txt, gator[1].txt, advertising[1].txt.
..txt is always in the top 5 TLDs queried for me.