Salvador Peralta wrote:

> First, I'd like for NS1 and NS2 to handle DNS requests. For some reason,
> when I dig with the following configuration, I get a "Couldn't find server
> '': Name or service not known" error. This will
> resolve properly if I dig, but not

ns1 should not be a CNAME. Make it an A record like jefferson;
and maybe make jefferson and the others CNAMEs to ns1.

> Second, the following configuration will resolve
>, but not the TLD

Resolve what? You don't have an A record for,
so dig won't find one if you ask for it. (Also,
is not a top-level domain, it is a second-level domain; org is the TLD)

> Third, what is the purpose of the Serial line?

It is used by secondary/slave servers to detect if the zone on the
primary/master server has been updated; the zone admin is expected
to increment the serial number with each change. The recommended
format of the serial number is yyyymmddnn, eg 2004120601 means the
first change on 6-Dec-2004.

> What changes should I make to this configuration to get things working
> properly to set this up as a master for this zone?
> $TTL 3D
> @ IN SOA
> (
> 200211152 ; serial#