bind-users-bounce@isc.org wrote on 10/22/2004 01:19:27 AM:
> I have a recurring problem, which may be considered a bug, but I'm

looking for
> advice on how to handle this. I have a client who added a slave to the

dns
> server. The problem is the master server's zone lacks NS records. The
> transfer occurs fine and the slave serves records despite the lack of
> authority records. However, if the dns server needed to be restarted

for some

There is nothing in the protocols that says a name server must be listed
in the NS RR set in order to sucessfully complete a zone transfere and
slave the zone. However, a name server slaving a zone in this fashion
would probably see little if any requests for information in that zone
from other name servers, as there is no information in the name space to
tell people that the name server in question is actually slaving the zone.

> reason (rare occurance luckily) then BIND complains when it loads the

slave

Complains how? In the log? Could you share the log?

> zone. It dumps the zone to a filename like db-00016356 in the working
> directory and returns "Server Failures" to all new requests. A

retransfer of
> the zone is necessary to cause it to work again.

I am not sure what is causing the crash, but, I am fairly crertain that it
is not a lack of NS RR's in a master zone db file on a different name
server.

[clipped explaination of why we don't like things that don't work ]