OK thanks for the info Barry and Jim

It appears that my problem is not with rndc as that does work when named is
running, my problem is actually with the /etc/rc.d/init.d/named which is
not starting named although it tells me it has. I have been restarting
named when adding/editing zones but I now realise that I should just be
reloading it.

This solves my problem except when my box is rebooted, as it was by my host
last night for network maintenance and named isn't starting at boot up but
I can monitor that another way and it doesn't happen that often, last night
being the first reboot for over a year.

Thanks again

Greg