On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 20:30:11 +0200,
"P.B." wrote:

> I've just set up my linux box as PPP DialUp Server and can connect and do
> everything except resolve names. The Linux server is also running Bind for
> several years now - without problems.
> There are several interfaces in this server (eth, wlan, ppp0(~ISP) - and
> when serving dialup clients, also ppp1). The installed DNS works properly
> for ALL installed interfaces, EXCEPT for ppp1.
> I've tried the following:
> 1) Iptables entries are the same for wlan (where DNS works). Also tried
> dropping iptables: no change.
> 2) Checked connection by connecting by IP (instead of by name)
> 3) used tcpdump to see what's happening: DNS request coming in from
> ppp-client, but no answer.
> 4) bind's logs: (turned everything on for debugging): Request from
> ppp-client does not show up in the logs,
> but all other requests do.
> 5) Changed named.conf to bind to interface ppp1's IP, too.
> 6) Setup pppd to give the ppp-client an external DNS: works properly - So
> that's why I assume it's my DNS having problems.

Have you tried setting the interface-interval in named.conf to something
short? For example

options {
interface-interval 1;

should make named scan for interfaces once every minute rather than
its default once per hour. If ppp1 is only up when someone dials
in, that might be necessary.

Ronan Flood
working for but not speaking for