It would appear that FreeBSD's free(3) isn't the main issue here; I built
an image with the patch, and the performance is about the same as before.

From the stack trace in my earlier message, it looks as though most of the
time is being spent in dns_rbt_deletetreeflat, following pointers in a
tight loop.

I can probably live with things the way they are now, but if I find more
time to look at this I will probably attempt to build a profiling image to
confirm where the time is being spent.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
-Chris