There's nothing inherently special about an "internal" domain.

I assume, therefore, that you're having trouble setting up a master
zone. The first thing to look for would be errors in the log file about
not being able to load the zone. You could also try running the
"named-checkzone" utility on it (see the documentation for the command
syntax).

- Kevin